Friday, May 11, 2007

Bah Samba - Bah Samba




The first album which I shall showcase is a self-titled debut by a group called Bah Samba. Bah Samba were formed in 1995 by Julian Bendall, with other key members being Alice Russell (vocalist), Mark Ralph (guitar) and Timmy Walker (bass). However, this is NOT a small group! Both on recorded albums and live gigs, they have a group consisting of brass section, flutes, percussion (congas!), drums, acoustic guitar, strings... you name it they've played it.

Their debut album Bah Samba was released 2002 on the Estero record label, and is one of the best debut and all time albums I have ever heard. It is one of those albums you keep going back to, it never ages and it certainly has a feel good vibe. The album mixes the genres of samba, latin, jazz, folk, soul and beautifully executed by all the group members. This album is superb for the summer, and if it is not on your BBQ playlist, why not?!

I have had the pleasure of seeing this group perform live twice now, and if you get the chance take it. Again, absoluely fantastic live. The group enjoy themselves, and the individual players encourage eachother and it is a tightly formed musical unit. But, I have not even mentioned the gorgeous, sun-drenched vocals of the UK's number 1 soul, nu-jazz, broken beat vocalist Ms. Alice Russell. I feel her vocals on this album cut is, quite frankly the best i've heard from her, and live she knocks yr wooly socks off.

Give this record a spin, I know you will fall in love with it instantly - and if you do I have some more Samba goodies coming up!

Also take a visit to their homepage as well:
http://www.bahsamba.co.uk/news.htm
http://www.myspace.com/bahsambamusic

3 comments:

ANS said...

Hey, I was listening to some Alice Russel tonight on a Tru Thoughts CD. Whats the chances eh?

Looks like you got into blogging same way as I did! I was inspired by other bloggers and the wealth of info and music that was out there and I knew I could add to that! It's really cool and rewarding too!

Are your mixes fully mixed ie beat matched? I'll def download but at the mo I'm only on dial-up, BB should be installed tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Hey Aidan, thanks for the comment!

Alice Russell is i'd go as far as to say the no1 modern soul signer. I've seen her live with Bah Samba twice, just phenomenal! I've got all her stuff, even live bah samba, bamboos and Tm Juke stuff. Shame she left tru thoughts. Let me know if you need something and i'll get some uploaded!

Yep fully mixed, not just a 'pop it in the car playlist on Itunes' lol.

I know this old-skool bloggers are amazing, they've reached like 1,2 or even 3 year anniversary - just something to admire. i wanna be as consistent!

What sort of stuff you gonna blog?

MissT

ANS said...

Yeah i didn't even know what a blog was that long ago!

I'm always blogging and it's usually hip hop!

Cool that you mixed it. What did you do it on?